Founded in Britain on November 1, 1944, by Donald Watson. The first ever vegan society, in the process coining the word vegan (for "non-dairy vegetarians"). The word vegan has since passed into common usage and is used these days in a variety of broader meanings than was originally intended.
November 1 is celebrated annually as World Vegan Day.
- information - e.g. the website, leaflets, books, videos
- support - network of local contacts
- licenses the seedling symbol to companies - for the labelling of vegan products
- publishes The Vegan - a quarterly magazine sent free to members of the society
- publishes the Animal-Free Shopper - a list of vegan items available in the UK (updated every two years or so)